Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Wednesday Hero

This post was suggested by SJ and Michael

Rear Admiral Jeremiah Denton
Rear Admiral Jeremiah Denton
89 years old from Virginia Beach, Virginia
USS Independence (CVA-62)
July 15, 1924 - March 28, 2014
U.S. Navy

Jeremiah Andrew Denton, Jr. was a Rear Admiral and Naval Aviator in the United States Navy and, following his retirement from naval service, was a United States Senator from the state of Alabama. In 1965 he was captured in North Vietnam when his plane was shot down and he and his navigator Bill Tschudy spent eight years a POW's in the infamous "Hanoi Hilton". In 1966 he was forced to take part in a press conference by his captors in which they asked him about his support for the war. He responded: "I don't know what is happening, but whatever the position of my government is, I support it fully. Whatever the position of my government, I believe in it, yes sir. I am a member of that government, and it is my job to support it, and I will as long as I live". During that interview he was able to send a message by blinking the word "Torture" in Morse code to let the world know what the POW's were going though.


You can read more about Rear Admiral Denton here

These brave men and women sacrifice so much in their lives just so others may get to enjoy freedom. For that I am proud to call them Hero.
Those Who Say That We're In A Time When There Are No Heroes, They Just Don't Know Where To Look

This post is part of the Wednesday Hero Blogroll. For more information about Wednesday Hero, or if you would like to post it on your site, you can go here.
Wednesday Hero Logo

0 comments: