Tuesday, July 10, 2007

What's Your Carbon Footprint

A few days ago I did a post with a link to a site called Carbon Footprint. On that site you can calculate what your carbon footprint is and determine how much you're polluting the environment. According to the site, the average American's CF is 19,000 kg, or, if I'm calculating this right, 41,888 lbs./per year. Mine came out to 16,590 kg, or 36,575 lbs./per year. I'm below average. So, Mr. Gore and his his disciples can stop bitching to me because I guarantee mine's a hell of a lot lower than theirs.

However, there are some caveats. One being that it's a "man is killing the planet site". I'm not saying their numbers are inflated, but you have to consider the possibility. The second is that they add a few kg on based on averages in the U.K. that you have nothing to do with. They don't even ask anything about Food and Drink or Recreation and Services.

3 comments:

eredux said...

See this US Carbon Footprint Map, interact with this United States Carbon Footprint Map, illustrating Greenest States. This site has all sorts of stats on individual State energy & transportation consumptions, demographics and State energy offices.

http://www.eredux.com/states/

Bad Bob said...

That's kind of cool, but too many things on it we can't control. My footprint came up 15,102 kg, but I drive a Honda Insight which does a lot better than their figures on the car.

I'm sure I could buy some pre-existing wooded area and reduce my carbon footprint like Al did, but shouldn't we be adding trees to offset it instead of using existing ones?

Deoduce said...

I got a below average footprint, too, but my Jeep gets decent mileage (about 20 miles per gallon on the highway, which is about the same as my old Mazda got). We also plant native trees in our yard and provide habitats for native plants and birds. The carbon website didn't take any of that into account. They are just the modern version of indulgences.