Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A Huckabee Flip-Flop

I was getting real excited when I first began to read this.
Mike Huckabee wants to amend the Constitution to prevent children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens from automatically becoming American citizens, according to his top immigration surrogate — a radical step no other major presidential candidate has embraced.
I'm totally on board for that, but then the second page kind of deflated me.
Mr. Huckabee has defended his policies on illegal aliens while he was Arkansas governor. He pressed for illegal aliens to gain college tuition benefits, complained about federal immigration raids in his state and declined to have state police enforce immigration laws, although the state legislature gave him the authority to do so.
I was hoping it wasn't a ploy to gain support, but I forgot, for a few seconds, that this is politics and EVERYTHING is done for the simple reason of gaining support. Hillary tearing up, Edwards calling Hillary out on the tearing up even though he's probably balled his eyes out many a time while in court and Obama channeling Martin Luther King, Jr. All contrived.

0 comments: