Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Burning The Qu'ran

So a church in Florida wants to hold a Qu'ran burning. While I think it's down right stupid and don't agree with it, they do have the right. Just like we have the right to burn or destroy the Bible, or any book, CD or what have you, or the flag. Or like those Westboro Baptist asses have the right to protest. I think it's hate speech myself, but they're not breaking any laws. At least I don't think they are. What I would like to see is this much attention and outrage when someone burns the flag. That would be nice.

1 comments:

Silke said...

Chris said: What I would like to see is this much attention and outrage when someone burns the flag. That would be nice.

I disagree. I think most Americans are offended by the burning of the flag but I’m glad it does not receive the same attention and outrage that this episode over the potential burning of a Koran has generated. This was more about fear of a fringe group of religious fanatics than not wanting to offend an entire religion. How week is a person’s faith that they are so threatened by the burning of someone else’s property they consider violence an appropriate response? So I’m glad that we would never see this kind of response to the burning of our flag – the very act itself a symbol of the freedom we enjoy.