Saturday, September 1, 2007

One Year Later

Wednesday Hero Blogroll

One year ago I was forced to create the Wednesday Hero Blogroll by Greta. Well, not forced, but talked into. I wasn't sure I wanted to. I was quite happy having it as a small post I did on the two blogs and leaving it at that. But she coerced and threatened and I broke. I put the post up and waited to see if anyone would join. Blogrolls, after all, are a dime a dozen. Everyone and their mother has one. But, much to my surprise, people started to join. For a while there I had three people. Yankee Mom, Bear Creak Ledger and Mail Call. And I was happy with that. I felt that was a success. Then more joined and pretty soon I had ten blogs. And I was surprised by that. I would have been happy to stop there. Ten blogs was more than I though would ever join up. And now, one year later, well, you can count them. I never, in a million years, thought it would have taken off the way it has. But I guess it goes to show that if it's worthwhile people will want to be a part of it.

You know, I didn't start Wednesday Hero, and subsequently the blogroll, for any kind of praise. But that's what I've gotten from it. I've gotten a lot of thanks from different members of the blogroll for doing this. But I think the best payoff from doing this has been from the people who knew the soldiers that I've profile as friends and some who were family members telling me thanks. I'm not a touchy-feely, warm fuzzy feeling type of person. But when that happens it can't help but make you feel good.

Through all the troubles I've had with it, and the members know them all too well, it's been worth it. Anytime you can draw as much attention to these brave men and women, and what they do for us, as possible it's a good thing.


This video was created by Kathi over at Mail Call. I didn't ask her to do this. She took it upon herself to work on this. After you watch it, head over and give her the thanks she deserves.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, to you,Chris, and to all the members of the Blogroll.
And Thank YOU, for letting me be a part of this.
You do a wonderful job, of paying tribute to the Heroes we should be honoring.

Anonymous said...

appy Anniversary and Thank you for sharing the memorial of all the fine people over the year.I follow your wednesday Hero on Kathi's page
but thought I would stop by and say Thank you it is appreciated all the work you put in to it.So we can pay our Respects to the Heroes.

Anonymous said...

Hello Chris,
A dear friend told me about your Blog. Nice work! My name is Tom, and I am a disabled Vietnam combat Veteran: 1968-70, helicopter doorgunner, member: 240th AHC Flightline-- website,please checkit out. I got out of the Armyand Vietnam, Ap/4, and blessed to be alive to help spread the Good News of Christ's Kingdom and His soon return. Please feel free to visit my own AOL Blog, listed below. God Bless America and our heros in combat!

Tom Schuckman
Disabled Vietnam Veteran: 1968-70
http://journals.aol.com/tschuckman/OldSoldierTomsJournal/
"Am I therefore become your enemy,
because I tell you the TRUTH ? ---Galatians 4:16

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you Chris and to all who have taken part in honoring our military.

Flag Gazer said...

Thank you for all you do to make this happen each week...