Thursday, May 28, 2009

Opposing Sonia Sotomayor

This post contains some language some may be uncomfortable with.

Ever since President Obama nominated Sonia Sotomayor to replace Justice David Souter on the Supreme Court I've heard and read a few pieces talking about how it's a "delicate matter for the GOP". That we need to tread lightly so as not to further alienate Hispanic voters. Bullshit. Oppose this woman at every turn. A judge does not make policy and can not make ruling with their emotions. They're job is to uphold the Constitution.
I, [NAME], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as [TITLE] under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God."
So why the hell should we forgo our beliefs just to please anyone? Any Congressman who goes weak kneed and follows the crowd because they're scared of how it will look to opposed a "Latina with a compelling life story" should pack their shit up and leave office because I don't want them there. So far only one Congressman, and I can't remember what state he's from or his name, has had the balls to stand up and state that he will not support her. I applaud this man. I only wish I could remember his name. I'm getting sick and tired of this fucking bullshit racist game that keeps getting played. We didn't support Obama because he's black, the tea parties were Klan rallies and now if Republican Congressmen don't bow down and support Sonia Sotomayor's nomination it could be seen as racist. Never mind that Democrats opposed Clarence Thomas, Alberto Gonzalez & Miguel Estrada. Bill O'Reilly said, on his show on Wednesday, that "perception outweighs truth" or something like that. And sadly it's true. The popular perception of the Republican party has been that it's a rich White man's party that doesn't support minorities. And we're just sitting back letting that falsehood persist. So we're to be good little Republicans and fall in line because we want minorities to vote for us. This is why the GOP are in such trouble. Not because the party's moved too far to the right. Because it's full of pseudo-Liberal pussies who refuse to take a stand for what they believe in and have completely abandoned their Conservative values of small government and low taxes for bailouts, HUGE government and a debt we're never going to be able to pay off. And I include George W. Bush in that. And we're going to continue to fall until we wipe that god damned yellow streak off our backs and get back to our principals. I am a Conservative. And I am extremely proud of that. But I am a Republican in name only, because like many others I've moved more Libertarian. The party didn't abandon people like Colin Powell and Arlen Spector. It abandoned people like me. People who believe that the Constitution is more than an antiquated piece of paper. That it actually means something. People who believe that government should not, and can't, stick it's fat nose into private companies and take them over. People who believe that we're not entailed to everything. I've seen where our government is taking this country and it pisses me off. This is not the country that was found over 200 years ago. This is a sad, bastardized version that is rotting from the inside out. And I, for one, am feed up with it and I hope that everyone of these cowards who refuse stand up to King Obama and his cronies lose their job in 2010, or whenever they're up for reelection. Because they don't represent me.

4 comments:

Deoduce said...

A) I am a minority (or half-anyway).
B) I have ovaries, etc.
C) Can I be nominated to the Supreme Court?

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 05/29/2009 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.

MadamRude said...

Right On! Great, powerful, HONEST post.

Unknown said...

"The popular perception of the Republican party has been that it's a rich White man's party that doesn't support minorities."
Whether this perception is right or wrong, it's a consequence of a fundamental 'conservative' principle "People who believe that government should not, and can't, stick it's fat nose into private companies".
This does not support minorities only in so far as it serves to preserve wealth that is concentrated predominately with 'rich white men'.

It's a sad fact that a 'minimal government policy' - keeping out of the way of business benefits wealth (the beneficiaries are more often 'rich white men' more than anyone else).
I get the impression that it is not about race, but wealth, if you were already a rich member of racial minority then you would be protected by a 'conservative ideology'.

A conservative ideology is indifferent to the poor of all racial groups.

Perhaps try considering what the word 'conserve' means?
Then consider where resources that are to be 'conserved' are located

...and whether this is a good thing is a separate issue to whatever it is that obama thinks he's doing by buying car companies and 'taking the jet to the restaurant' and other 'date night' activities.