Thursday, December 8, 2005
THAT'S NOT RIGHT
Is anyone else a little concerned and disheartened by the fact that I saw more about the 25th anniversary on the death of John Lennon today on the news than I saw about the anniversary of the attack at Pearl Harbor yesterday? Damn this celebrity obsessed culture we live in. 25 years ago a singer died. Okay, fine. But 64 years ago over 2000 American troops were killed in an attack that literally changed the world. I think that's a little more important than John Lennon, I don't care what kind of songs he sung. I dread the day when 9/11 becomes a secondary story to some empty-headed, flavor of the month actress' marriage to some braindead actor. That'll be the death nail for this country.

5 comments:

Greta (Hooah Wife) said...

NOw that you mention it, I did notice that. But then there is more about Nick and Jessica that soldiers in Iraq doing good stuff!

Indian Chris said...

Welcome to America.

Jake said...

I think it has more to do with the fact that for this "older generation" the killing of Lennon had a bigger impact than did Pearl Harbor. In 30 years, we'll be looking back at 9/11 while something else happens that 30 years from then, that generation will be looking back at.

Za said...

Jake has it right, look at the timespan. 25 years vs 64 years. 64 years is 2 to 3 generations ago - 25 years is 1 generation ago.

That said, the majority of people are still more concerned with who J-Lo slept with than people dying in Africa... so I agree with you on that.

Za said...

Qualifier:
The majority of WESTERN people.

(I'm hoping you knew I meant that anyway)