Wednesday, November 23, 2005
Fallen Hero
WOODROW
PFC Woodrow "Woody" Charles Cronkrite
United States Marine Corps
2nd Squad, 2nd Platoon, India Company, 3rd Battalion, 26th Marine Regiment
September 6, 1967 near Con Thien, Vietnam

From his friend, Mike Rummel

"I was a transfer student from Pennsylvania in the Fall of 1960 when I first attended 8th grade at Suitland Junior High School, Suitland, Maryland. I knew no one except a cousin, a year younger.

I met teachers and students through the normal course of the school year. Woody learned of me from a mutual teacher. He approached me, befriended me, helped me feel welcomed, and became an unofficial sponsor of sorts for the remainder of the year.

We were never more than casual friends, but that simple act of kindness stayed with me through the years. When I learned of his death, I was shocked and saddened. Ever since, my mind has returned often to our first meeting and our last class together in Mr. Jack's Senior English at Suitland Senior High School.

Woody wanted to be a writer. His writings were destroyed in a fit of anger at his death, an understandable, but regrettable act. Over the years, Woody, for me, has come to symbolize the loss of so many promising youth from our generation, who gave their lives in service to their country. I am reminded of the 19 May, 1991, "Funky Winkerbean" cartoon strip, wherein the following monologue takes place as two alumni look at class pictures on the wall of their alma mater:

'I was just thinking about a couple of kids from our school who
went over to Vietnam and never made it back.

'I remember one in particular who was a pretty talented artist with
a promising career in front of him ...

'and I began to wonder how many paintings will never be seen,
songs will never be heard, and books will never be read ...

because of wars yet to come ...'"
Lost Friends

These brave men and women have given their lives so that others may enjoy the freedoms we get to enjoy everyday. For that, I am proud to call them Hero.
We Have Every Right To Dream Heroic Dreams.
Those Who Say That We're In A Time When There Are No Heroes, They Just Don't Know Where To Look

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cronkite: First main stream Communist to make it big in journalism. Hats off to you "Commrade"!

Christopher Lee said...

Who's talking about Walter Cronkite? This guys name is Cronkrite.