Sunday, October 1, 2006

Pink Floyd As Used In The Real World

I graduated high school in 1997, which means that next year is my 10 year reunion. And if you've been paying attention then you know that I'm a fan of The Floyd. Anyway, I was recently listening to their song Time and it hit me just how prophetic the lyrics really are.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

But it's this line that grabbed my attention.
And then the one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Being ten years since I graduated and it does seem that I've missed the starting gun. No matter what you may think when you're 17 or 18, you're not ready. Hell, I'm 27 and I'm still not ready.
Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
You really don't seem to find the time. That old adage "You're not getting any younger" really comes to life as you get older. Plans you may have had as a bright eyed high school grad don't necessarily happen. I was planning on being a writer when I grew up, but, as you can tell from this blog, that was never going to happen. I'm going to star doing this soon. Starting next year I'm going to try this. Well, soon and next year have a way of sneaking up on you. Carpe Temporis Puntum

0 comments: