Friday, March 17, 2006

Free Song Friday

I guess that should be Free Songs Friday.
Read More
David Gilmour - On An Island

There's only one word I could use to describe this album. Serine. A very laid back sound that just projects this somber mood. If I didn't have such a limited vocabulary I could give a better review, but here's one I found on Barnes & Noble that does it better than I could.

Musically, On An Island is mostly a laid back, utterly elegant English record. It has the feel of taking place between twilight and dawn. There are a few rumblers here to upset the balance of tranquility and stillness, like flashes of heat lightning across the dark skies, but they only add dimension to these proceedings.

That line about taking place between twilight and dawn is a perfect description. This album is magic. Gilmour is one of the preeminent guitarist and this album reflects that. Plus his voice is amazing. But if you're looking for vintage Pink Floyd, The Wall or DSOTM, then you're going to be disappointed. On An Island is very much in the style of Floyd's last two albums, The Division Bell & A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, with the exception of one song. It's an album to put on, turn the lights down low and just relax. I picked two songs to showcase what I think give the best feel of the music.

On An Island has some great harmony done by Gilmour along with David Crosby and Graham Nash. It's a beautiful piece of music.
Let The Night Surround you
We're Halfway To The Stars
Ebb And Flow
Let it Go
Feel Her Warmth Beside You


Smile is a very nice acoustic song that Gilmour sings with his wife. Like On An Island, it's a beautiful piece of music.
Wasting Days And Days On This Flight
Always Down, And Up Half The Night
Hopeless To Reminisce Through The Dark Hours
We'll Only Sacrifice What Time Will Allow Us
You're Sighing...


I have only one gripe. A Pocket Full Of Stones. Some think it may be about Syd Barret, but I think it's about Bush. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. Other than that...

Gilmour is still a master.

Filed under Music
Filed under Movie/CD Reviews

0 comments: