Wednesday, March 1, 2006

He Does It Again

Once again Anthony has written a great post. This time on what happened with Katrina. Honest to God, he's becoming one of the best out there. I could actually see him one day right up there with the heavyweights. Powerline, Malkin, Barber.

Now my take. First off, I have to admit that I haven't seen the tape so I have no idea what's in it. But please don't for a second think this is something new. Officials have been warned for years that the levees in New Orleans wouldn't hold. They knew this day would come and no one did a damn thing about it. Not local government or federal. The citizens of New Orleans themselves could have done more to insure that this wouldn't happen. They could have protested to anyone and demand that the levee system be updated. They could have went to the media years ago about this. But nobody did anything about it. I honestly can't say why. Apathy? Maybe, but I doubt it. I think it was more complacency. Like Anthony said
"The simple fact 1300 people died is that it was a monster hurricane that people ignored because they felt, 'hey, it's not that serious it's just another hurricane...I've survived them before and I'll survive this one.'"
People knew what was coming. They'd been warned to leave. Some couldn't, I get that, but many could. But complacency stopped them. Same goes for government officials. They knew that this storm was coming, and even though they sent out the warnings they didn't nothing in the years before to prevent the levees from being breached. Why? This one I can't answer. I just don't know, but unlike the Left I don't believe it was because nobody cared. Should we be talking about this today? No. Because this should have never happened. There was a massive failure, but again, unlike the Left, I don't put all the blame of the federal government. There's plenty of it to be handed out to everyone.
Filed under Miscellaneous

3 comments:

Opinionnation said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Chris.

The Battle between Common Sense (Republicans) and Insanity (Democrats) rages on.

I always like to point out that Chuck Schumer was caught trying to exploit the death and destruction of Katrina to make a few extra bucks for Democratic senators...yet no outrage, just acceptance. I suppose the left feels that Bush forced Schumer to do it like he forced Clinton to bomb Iraq in the 90's and like he forced every Democrap senator to vote for the war in Iraq.
Oh, that Bush and his magical Hurricane-creating powers.

Christopher Lee said...

I don't know if you've ever seen the 1998 movie version of The Avengers, but, little know fact, Sean Connery's character was modeled after Bush.

Anonymous said...

Opinion, might I ask your opinion on economic rationalism?