Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Favorite Programs

I'm bored, so I though I would give a list of some of my favorite programs that I use. Who knows, you may find something useful. All are free and spyware/adware free.

Pixie
I like this program. It's a small color picker. Great for people who design websites. You see a color you like, just open Pixie and move your cursor over that color. It'll tell you the hex, RGB, HTML, CMYK, and HSV values of that color. 61Kb

WaveNET
Convert your .wav files to MP3. 3.5Mb

gAlarm
Great little alarm clock that you can use. You're on the computer, Dog The Bounty Hunter is about to come on. You can set the alarm and that way you won't miss it. For example. 266Kb

Post-It Notes
We all know Post-It notes. Pretty handy. 2.4Mb

Belarc Advisor
This handy little tool is maybe more for the advanced computer types. Open it up and it'll tell you everything about your computer. Hardware and software. 845Kb

Duck Doom Delux
Not a program, but a game. Classic Duck Hunt set to Doom. Pretty fun.

Download Accelerator Plus
Cool program that helps with downloads. Great if you're still on dial-up. Start a huge file, it's too big to download in one sitting, just pause it and come back when ever you can. 3.3Mb

AbiWord
Great FREE alternative to Microsoft Word. All the functionality of Word, but FREE. Plus you don't get all that other crap that Word comes with should you buy it. 4.8Mb

SpyBot
Great spyware removal tool. Make sure you update it every couple of weeks. 4.8Mb

Ad-Aware
Great adware removal tool. Like Spyware, make sure you update it every couple of weeks. 2.7Mb

RegCleaner
This program cleans our your registry. Over time lots of junk builds up that can slow your system down. Things you don't need. Get rid of them. But beware. Make sure you read and follow the instructions. Don't want to delete something you need. Same goes for SpyBot and Ad-Aware.

(The Following Programs Where Shared By Jake)
Spyware Guard
A program that runs in your system tray silently and keeps most Spyware from EVER getting on your computer in the first place. And because of the way it works, it rarely needs updating.

SpywareBlaster
Exact same as above (except it doesn't appear in the system tray). Between these two, you can feel a bit safer about not running Spybot or Ad-Aware every now and again.

Real Alternative
An alternative (not to mention 100% FREE, monetary and spyware-wise) to Real Player.
{This one sound pretty good. I'm going to have to check it out}

Wow, working on this list made me realize that I need to update some things.
Filed under Miscellaneous

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow- I used the registry cleaner - almost 300 items were found. Hopefully that will solve the sluggishness of my computer. Thanks for sharing!! :)

Christopher Lee said...

Deb - Yeah, that regcleaner is pretty good. I found some things I hadn't used in years when I first used it.

Jake - These are programs that I use, but I'll add them. And thanks for the update to AbiWord.