Monday, November 6, 2006

Vote Or Shut Up

Okay, I lied. So sue me.

Flag.jpgI'm sitting here thinking about the election tomorrow/today, depending on when you're reading this, and I'm starting to get worried. Worried that Democrats could take the House and re-gain some power. And that thought scares the ever lovin' hell out of me. I believe, and I don't care if you agree or not, that Democrats in power in this country is a dangerous thing. If you think the atmosphere in Washington, and around the country, is bad now, just wait. If the Democrats win either, or worse yet, both, the House and/or Senate, all hell will break lose. It will be more about getting revenge for the last twelve years than about actually trying to get any work done. Not that Republicans don't deserve it. For those twelve years we've been rubbing their noses in it. We reap what we sow. They've already shown it. If you've been able to stomach any of the news coverage lately you would have seen Democrat after Democrat going on and on about "taking some power back", "getting some power", "taking back the House". That's what this election is about. Power. Do you really think Nancy Pelosi or Ted Kennedy care about working with Republicans to better this country? Hell no. They want power so they can enact what they want when they want. The same goes for Republicans.

But it's more than that. Wait until Democrats are able to stop tools that are needed to fight the War On Terror. Stop them just out of spite. And if you don't think they would do something like that, please take your head out of your ass and remove the blinders from your eyes. I was planning on sitting this election out, but decided against it because if I didn't vote I wouldn't have a right to bitch and moan. So I decided to vote Independent/Third Party. But that's looking more and more like it's not going to happen. There's more at stake here than pride or party loyalty. Republicans are just better able to defend this country than Democrats. Are we perfect? No. But the alternative is much worse. Again, agree or disagree with me, I don't care.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exactly are the Republicans better able to defend the US?

So far everything they've done has made it MORE likely that the US will be attacked, not less.

They've detained hundreds of innocent people (and I'm not talking Guantanamo, I'm talking directly after 9/11; legal migrants), and not apologised (or even acknowledged that they were innocent), they've turned two nations into civil war zones (Iraq now ranks #3 on the planet for corrupt nations), and their tactics of "threaten first, talk later" has made most of the US's allies not want to have anything to do with you.

I'm not seeing any protection there, just scare tactics.

Crazy Politico said...

Za, that's because you have no recollection of the failed policies of the past when dealing with thugs and dictors.

We're less safe? But no attacks on the US have occured, and tons discouraged by new methods of tracking folks.

As for the allies that want nothing to do with us, they will, when they realize that appeasement has NEVER ONCE WORKED in history. Hell, ask the French, Russians and British, it's only been 67 years since they all thought Hitler would play nice.

Iraq's always been in the top 10 of corrupt countries, so moving up a few notches is no big deal.

Anonymous said...

Firstly the world is not divided into "threats" or "appeasement". Such a dichotomy is always bound to fail.

Secondly, since you bring up Hitler, are you suggesting following his tactics instead? Because you've just said yourself he mowed down anyone who got in his way, and that seems to be what you're advocating.

Thirdly, do you honestly believe that threatening people will make them more compliant?

And fourthly, no, I doubt that people will want to come and join you. So far, the majority of Britains rate the US as a greater danger to world peace than Kim Jong Ill, and even the Israelis are beginning to believe that the US is making the world more dangerous.

Anonymous said...

I'm not voting today.

There's only one difference between any of the people running around here (Alabama):

(D)
(R)
(I)

Period. All the independents are simply "disgruntled" (R)s or (D)s, who are simply running to rub it in someone else's face.

So fuck it. Fuck it all.

Though I admit, I do so hope the Democrats get the majority they need. Just to watch Bush squirm for the next two years.

"But no attacks on the US have occured..."

OHMAHGAWD! You're right! I mean, under Clinton, we were attacked on a daily basis!

*sigh*

The number of attacks on this country range in the lower single-digits.

Next talking point, please.

Anonymous said...

I'll still complain, though.

Remember, I have no say in who's elected in other states.

Anonymous said...

I used to scoff at cynics, until I heard that at the base of every cynic is an idealist. So, I can relate even with the cynics, though still disagree. I was simply glad to vote. (Link to my voting experience today.)

loboinok said...

IC,

We have it better here in OK than most do in other states.

Just vote "no" on all the judges, they are all lib judges.

If for no other reason... vote (R) to piss off your troll.

GOTV!